What are the most important services a valves stockist has to offer?
When selecting a valves stockist, care should be taken to valves features we need and to the services a stockist can offer. There is nowadays a huge offering of valves for oil and gas industry and it is not always easy to choose those which fit each piping project. Let us make a short list of the essential tips for selecting valves and then talk about how to select a valves stockist.
Tips for choose valves
The two issues are closely related. We have to get our needs straigths, to make a list of essential features and then review valves stockists in the market, or, better, in the global market.
- Valves function – ask ourselves which function the valves have to perform and we know what valves we need: gate valves, check valves, ball valves, globe valves and so on:
- Stop flow
- Divert flow
- Adjust flow
- Mix flow
- Prevent backflow
- Reduce pressure
- Chemical compatibility – Chemical compatibility requirements are crucial informations. The valves materials have to be compatible with the liquids or the gases flowing through them.
- Pressure and Temperature performance requirements – Check pressure and temperature ranges in which the system will work. This information will be usefull to prefer for example cast o forged valves.
- Extra / special requirements – Mind every special needs of the piping system we are thinking about.
- Ordinary maintenance – We have to, for example, consider that ball check valves require frequent maintenance, that globe valves have a simple structure and an easy maintenance, that gate valves do not require wide spaces.
Valves stockist services to look for
While selecting a valves stockist we have to examine his offering, paying attention to the complete range of supplì and to the services he can offer. Let us have a quick look.
PMI Test – The Positive Material Identification is applide in the oil and gas industry and concern checking of
- correctness of the material used
- content of alloying elements for a specific type of steel
- the type of steel
Pressure Test – It is important to have test information about pressure resistance of any type and dimension of valves we are going to buy and use in a pipeline system. From the smallest to the largest valves we do need theese informations from a qualified valves stockist.
End Connection Machining – There are different types of connections used to install valves and also the end connection is important in a system. So, we do have to prefer a valves stockist that can offer a specific service of machining in order to have elements that better fit to each part of the system.
Flange machining – This service is quite a pride for a supplier and for a stockist as it guarantees leak-proof seal when the elements are assembled.
NDE – The Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) or Nondestructive Testing is a process that detects the presence of defects or flaws in the material being examined. It also considers and measures different features and elements such as size, shape, orientation.
Painting – Painting as much as coating or polishing is an additional service we have to carefully consider when choosing a valves stockist.
Keep in touch
Please, feel free to check our distributor page in order to che more details of DEI.
DEI is an official Bonney Forge distributor and we have two social network pages: Facebook Official Fan Page and Linkedin profile too.